4 November 2009

Goldenrod

Had to include a pic of goldenrod because the asters in the pics below looked lonely to me w/o goldenrod buddies.

Click through the pic: it's zoomed-in, but otherwise unaltered. I have no idea why it turned out looking more like a painting than a photograph. Looks like brush strokes.

Apparently there are 29 goldenrod species in Ontario (32 in Canada), and 'the' book a native plant girl should buy is "Goldenrods of Ontario" by John Semples and Gordon S. Ringius, University of Waterloo. I'll have to call U. of Waterloo bookstore to see if they still have copies.

2 comments:

Steve S said...

Tall goldenrod is the common one around here. It's the one that gets the galls on the stem (others don't).

native plant girl said...

"tall-ball-gall" :) Claire taught me that ID.

been wondering about those galls...

been wondering about any insects who overwinter or lay eggs in herbaceous stems.

despite this long and early stretch of abnormally warm temps,
i can't yet bring myself to cut down most of last year's herbaceous stems in the prairie pocket garden in my park yet... (public space - want it to look good and one neighbour has already asked me when i'll be cutting the dead stuff off). told him that I keep wondering if insects might still be hibernating or developing in them, and that i don't want to interfere with that, because the whole point of that garden is to dedicate a few square metres to insects / pollinators. but honestly, i don't know who or what's going on inside of those stems and 'not knowing' tells me to leave those stems alone as insect habitat until the usual frost free date.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 2.5 Canada License.